Charles James & Co
S o l i c i t o r s

Home Services People Contact

We provide the following services in England & Wales:

Residential Conveyancing

We offer a personal and friendly conveyancing service and will keep you informed throughout your transaction. Buying and selling your home or investment property can be a stressful time and it is essential to obtain legal advice at an early stage to avoid problems which may otherwise only become apparent many years later. We deal with both freehold and leasehold properties and take a proactive approach to each transaction, liaising with the other solicitors and agents in the chain at an early stage to facilitate the process. We can also assist if you need to extend the lease of your flat before the property is marketed, or as part of the sale if an offer has already been received.

A guide to our residential conveyancing services and fees may be viewed here

Commercial Property

Our commercial clients rely on us to provide them with detailed and reliable legal advice concerning their investments. We can advise on the full range of issues from the acquisition and development of sites to issues affecting commercial landlords, including the negotiation and grant of leases of commercial properties, management of portfolios and resolution of disputes. It is essential to instruct lawyers at an early stage when a dispute arises, as this may later prove to be crucial in determining the outcome.

Landlord and Tenant

We act for both Landlords and Tenants and possess detailed knowledge of many of the residential developments in London. If when you sell your flat the terms of your lease need to be varied in order to satisfy a purchaser or their lender, we can draft the Deed of Variation for approval by the purchaser's and landlord's solicitors when you first instruct us, to minimise the delay to your sale.

Leasehold Enfranchisement

This term refers to your statutory rights as the tenant of a leasehold property to seek a 90 year extension to your lease, or to join together with other tenants in the building to purchase the freehold interest collectively, often in the name of a new company owned by the tenants which will then manage the block on their behalf.

The procedures are detailed and not all buildings will qualify for the right to purchase the freehold. Often the landlord will disagree with the offer made by the tenant(s) in which case you may (within strict time limits) refer the matter to the Property Chamber of the First-Tier Tribunal to determine the amount which should be paid. We liaise with specialist surveyors to gather and analyse the expert evidence which is needed to maximise your chances of a successful outcome at the Tribunal.

Property Litigation

If squatters occupy your commercial premises or a residential tenant refuses to leave when their tenancy agreement expires, you will need to obtain a Court Order to regain possession of your property. You may apply to have your matter transferred to the High Court for the purposes of enforcement by Sheriffs, who have greater powers than County Court Bailiffs and are often able to regain possession of your property for you more quickly.

For more details of our services or to discuss your individual requirements, please contact us.

Our Complaints Procedure

We aim to provide you with the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we have provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues between ourselves. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.